Friday, August 13, 2010

Sweet, Flaky Friday

This is how I started my morning.


Well, not quite, but I did my best to channel a fabulous Friday morning the Parisian way.  My friend, Erin, has recently been spending a lot of time in France for work.  She was regaling us with stories of quiet mornings spent at cafes eating croissants, drinking coffee and people watching.  Listening to her set off all kinds of daydreams about fantastical trips to Paris.  My life being not so glamorous, I took these big daydreams and whittled them down to a little treat for myself.

After searching the world wide web, it turns out there is a French Market in the Ogilvie train station, which is on my way to work.  In this French Market is Vanille Patisserie, which boasts the best croissant in the city.  To be accurate, they don't tout this accolade, but a whole lot of Yelpers do.  I figured I'd spice up my week by swinging by to check this joint out and see if it lived up to the hype.  Despite the pictures and reviews online, I was still shocked to see an actual "market" in the train station.  It's a big, open space with counters for various grocers, bakers, coffee shops, and pasta makers.  Vanille Patisserie is the first counter upon entering, so I got myself a $2.70 croissant and a (very strong) iced latte from Lavazza.  I'm not going to pretend to know anything about food, but I do know that I love all things carbs, salt and butter and that's exactly what this was.  I can honestly say that the croissant was amaze-balls.  Eating at my desk didn't have quite the same joie de vivre, but I still enjoyed every last flaky bit of it.  Someday I'd like to experience the real thing, but until then I'll settle for the "on my way to work" version.  Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. You're back! So odd...Ben and I walked right by there when we were back in Chicago and both commented on how cool it looked. So happy to see you back on line again...if Eastside Swells could come back too then life would be complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! How was your trip home? I would love if Eastside Swell was resurrected.

    ReplyDelete